www.phonebox.info

units

British Telecom Kiosk No. 3

 
Kiosk 3 Mk.235  - a Connected Earth artefact, now at Avoncroft Museum
In 1929 the Kiosk No. 3 was introduced, again designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. This kiosk was intended for sites of special architectural importance, scenic localities and for general outdoor use in rural and urban areas.  Only a few were installed in London.

In August 1930 it was decided to adopt the No. 3 as standard for rural areas once the stock of No. 1' s had been exhausted.

The actual design was very similar to the No. 2 kiosk but was made largely from concrete instead of cast iron. Only the window frames were painted red, with the rest of the kiosk being painted a stony grey colour.

Because concrete was a rather poor material for telephone box construction this was the last standard box to employ its use.

The classic red K2 telephone box designed by Gilbert Scott was installed throughout London. However, it was considered far too expensive for use elsewhere.

The answer was the K3 - also by Gilbert Scott.

Its overall size was close to that of the K1, but it was very similar in style to the K2. This made the process of finding sites for new kiosks very much easier.

The K3 also shared the K1s basic material - concrete - and so shared its lower production costs and was cost-effective to install even in less profitable areas.

Painted cream with red glazing bars, the K3 went on to be installed across the UK, in cities, towns and rural areas. Overall, something in excess of 10,000 units were erected.